Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tuesday Sept 7th

Hello!

I wanted to update the parents about the home reading program that I sent home today. The students have been ask to read a minimum of 30 minutes per day. They are then asked to complete their independent reading log. I ask that you (parents) look at the log at the end of the week (Sunday) and sign to ensure that your son/daughter has completed their reading for the week. I will review their reading logs on Monday's.

If you have any questions let me know! This is not intended to be a tedious task for the little guys, I just want to make sure that they are reading daily :)


Here is a copy of the letter regarding the reading program:



Dear Parents/Guardians,
I am beginning a home reading program with the students in 4/5. I am sending home with your child an independent reading log. I ask that your child reads at home for a minimum of 30 minutes per evening. The students have been asked to fill out the log according to what they read. They are asked to fill in the date, title, starting/ending page and a short response. The students can choose any book they want to read because this is their own independent reading time.
I hope that this will be a good experience for your child. Please feel free to become involved in the books your child is reading. I encourage you to ask your child questions about the literature he/she is reading.
On the reading log form there is a place for a parent signature. Please sign your child’s log once a week as they will be handing this in every Monday morning. The reading log starts today :)
Thank you for your cooperation!


Sincerely,


Mrs. Denman

2 comments:

  1. I think that home reading assignments are a great activity. I'm wondering if you could elaborate on what you'd consider to be a reasonable "short response". I'm thinking two to three meaningful sentences about what they've read, or perhaps how the reading relates to them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all,

    I am really excited about this home reading/independent reading assignment for the 4/5 students. A sentence or two about how they feel about the reading, what they predict might happen next, or even a brief summary of what happened in the section they read will suffice. I am not looking for a lengthy response, just evidence of reading and reflection on the text. Hopefully this gives more clarification.

    Have a great evening!

    Mrs. Denman

    ReplyDelete